Monday, June 1, 2009

About Me

Welcome to my photography blog!

My name is Jessica and I'm a wife, mom, engineer, and photography hobbiest. My oldest son, Maddox, was born June 10, 2008. I had always loved pictures, but my love for pictures grew when I wanted to capture every sweet little moment with Maddox.


The Reason

All my life, I've had a love for newborns, babies, and kids. They are just so cute and innocent and make for the best photographs. After having Maddox, it didn't take me very long to learn that the old Kodak point and shoot that I had just wasn't going to do the trick. I wanted to take AMAZING photos that would catch his blue eyes shining and the Kodak managed to make his blue eyes blurry every time. A couple friends of mine have digital SLRs and I could just tell by looking at their pictures. They were so amazing and clear. I knew I had to have one.


The Gear

So I bought a Canon EOS Rebel XSi in May 2009. And the rest is history. My aspiration is to take photographs using natural lighting. As much as I would love to have a photo studio, that just isn't feasible right now and what better to catch a little one in their "natural habitat" with no magical lighting and minimal editing - just pure beauty and innocence. Thus I'm getting to know my new Canon and what it takes to capture these images...the right lighting, the right lens, the right focal length, the right aperture, the right ISO setting, the right shutter speed. WOW - who knew it was this confusing?

My camera bag consists of:
Canon EOS Rebel XSi
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II


The Dream

I'm a full time engineer and with two young boys my free time is limited. I would just love to have my own photography business someday, but as of now, I'm just playing with my new camera. I'm learning how to venture "outside of the green box" so that I can make the camera give me the results I'm looking for. I'm learning about what lenses I will need to give me those results. Maybe a few years down the road, I will be able to follow my dream of having a photography business. Until then, I hope you enjoy the pictures of my friends and family!

No comments: